Use the brown bananas on your counter to make moist and flavorful Banana Muffins! Your whole family will love these as a quick breakfast or a snack on the go. This is the best banana muffin recipe!
Easy Banana Muffins
I love bananas! They’re such an easy grab-and-go snack, they don’t require any peeling or cutting, and they taste great.
Sometimes I overestimate how many bananas my family will eat in a week, though! Don’t you hate that? Watching bananas slowly turn brown on the counter is a bummer…UNLESS you have a good banana bread or banana muffin recipe up your sleeve!
This Banana Muffin recipe is a great way to use those browning bananas on your counter. They’re also super speedy to make. In about 30 minutes, you could have warm, buttery, ender Banana Muffins! And as a bonus? Your kitchen will smell simply amazing.
You want to use BROWN bananas for baking. If your bananas only have a few brown spots, let them ripen for a little longer. The browner the better because the bananas will be riper and more sweet. Once the bananas are mostly brown and soft, your bananas will mix perfectly and effortlessly into this muffin recipe.
The ingredient list is simple, but the end results are amazing!
- Flour– regular all-purpose flour. If you need the muffins to be gluten-free, you can use all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Baking powder AND Baking soda– make sure they are fresh!
- Cinnamon– cinnamon and banana are a match made in heaven!
- Kosher salt– salt is a must in baked goods.
- Bananas– you will need 1 cup of mashed bananas, which is about 3 medium ripe bananas.
- Brown sugar– always pack the brown sugar.
- Eggs– make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
- Butter- melted and slightly cooled.
- Vanilla extract– I recommend pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Turbinado sugar– for sprinkling on the muffins. The sugary crunch is SO good!
How to Make Banana Muffins
You are going to love these banana muffins because they are super easy to make and made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. You don’t need a mixer for this recipe. I like to mix by hand to make sure the ingredients are over mixed. If you over mix the ingredients, your muffins will turn out tough and not get a good rise.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make sure your ripe bananas are mashed well, I like to use a fork to mash bananas. Combine the mashed bananas, brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix. Divide the muffin batter evenly among the muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop.
- Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you want to mix things up you can add 1 cup of the following ingredients to your muffin batter. After you mix the wet and dry ingredients together, fold in your choice of mix ins.
- chopped walnuts
- chopped pecans or even candied pecans
- chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- shredded coconut
You can also top the muffins with a sweet streusel topping if you want to go all out!
How to Store
First of all, you should enjoy a banana muffin right out of the oven! Slathering it with butter or peanut butter, my personal favorite, makes it even better. After the muffins have cooled completely, store them on the counter for up to three days.
I like to store muffins under a glass dome on the counter so they are covered but there isn’t too much moisture. You can also store them in an airtight container that is lined with paper towels, which will help absorb some of the moisture so the muffins don’t get too soggy.
You can also freeze banana muffins! Place the cooled muffins in a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months. Let thaw at room temperature or reheat in the microwave. This is a great way to always have a breakfast on the go ready!
They also make excellent snacks. Kids and adults love these muffins! They are great anytime of the day.
More Muffin Recipes:
- Healthy Banana Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Muffins