Carrot Cake Muffins packed with carrots, spices, raisins, and a surprise cream cheese filling are a favorite breakfast treat! Everyone loves these deliciously moist muffins!
This post is sponsored by Kroger.
If you like carrot cake, you are going to LOVE these Carrot Cake Muffins. They taste just like carrot cake but are totally acceptable for breakfast because they are muffins. YES!
The muffins are super moist thanks to the fresh carrots and perfectly spiced thanks to the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. They may look plain on the outside, but when you bite into the center, there is a pleasant surprise, a sweet cream cheese filling! Oh, yes! Carrot cake and cream cheese, the perfect combo!
I make these muffins every spring, but they are good year-round. I can always find fresh carrots at Kroger. The muffins are perfect for a special breakfast or brunch treat or even dessert!
Carrot Cake Muffin Ingredients
- Flour– use all-purpose flour. If you need the muffins to be gluten-free, you can use all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Brown Sugar & Granulated Sugar– to sweeten things up!
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda– make sure they are fresh!
- Salt– salt brings out the flavor, a must!
- Spices– cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and ground cloves! Your house will smell amazing while these muffins are baking!
- Oil– you can use melted coconut oil or vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk– make sure it is at room temperature
- Eggs– always use large eggs for baking
- Vanilla extract– my favorite!
- Carrots– Grate your own carrots and don’t buy pre-shredded carrots. You will need 3 medium carrots. I love Simple Truth’s Organic Carrots. They are always fresh and full of flavor!
- Raisins– they are optional, but so good, in my opinion:) And the Simple Truth raisins from Kroger are always plump and juicy!
- Turbinado sugar– for sprinkling on top of the muffins. You will love the sugary crunch!
Cream Cheese Filling
Carrot cake traditionally has a cream cheese frosting, but since these are muffins, I use a cream cheese filling. You only need three ingredients: cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract.
The filling is easy to mix up, just make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. I always make it first and then let it hangout in the fridge while I mix together the muffin batter. Don’t skip it, it makes the muffins extra special!
How to Make Carrot Cake Muffins
Let’s make some muffins!
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all of those yummy spices!
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until just combine. Don’t over mix, it is ok if there are still a few flour streaks. Gently fold in the freshly grated carrots and raisins, if you are using. I think raisins are a must:)
- Remove the cream cheese filing from the fridge. Fill each muffin cup with about 2 tablespoons of batter. Add a heaping spoonful of the cream cheese filling to each muffin. Top the muffins evenly with the remaining batter, about ¾ way full. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until muffins are golden and the tops spring back when gently touched. Let cool completely and enjoy!
How to Store
If you have leftover muffins, it is best to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese filling. You can let them come to room temperature before serving or eat enjoy them cold.
More Muffin Recipes
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Banana Muffins
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins