Apple Slaw- a simple slaw made with cabbage, apples, chickpeas, celery, pepitas, dried cranberries, and a creamy tahini dressing. The slaw is crispy, crunchy, sweet and a great side dish to any meal.
I am normally not a huge lover of coleslaw, but this Apple Slaw is my absolute FAVORITE. It is light, fresh, and the flavors and textures are SO good.
The slaw is made with cabbage, apples, chickpeas, celery, pepitas, dried cranberries, and a creamy tahini dressing. It’s crispy, crunchy, sweet, and satisfying. It has a little bit of everything going on and you will be hooked after one bite.
The slaw is great year-round, but I especially love this slaw during the fall months. Serve it along side your favorite cozy soup, with pasta, chicken, chicken pot pie, fish, or enjoy it for lunch.
Table of Contents
- Slaw Ingredients
- Tahini Dressing
- How to Make Apple Slaw
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store
- More Easy Side Dishes
- More Apple Recipes
- Apple Slaw Recipe
- Cabbage– I use a mix of green and red (purple) cabbage.
- Chickpeas– I love adding chickpeas for protein.
- Apple– I like to use Honey crisp, you can use your favorite apple. Cut the apple into thin strips.
- Green onions– they aren’t too strong and add a nice flavor.
- Celery– for a nice crunch!
- Pepitas– pepitas are shell-less pumpkin seeds and are a good source of magnesium, Vitamin K, protein, and healthy fats. I love them!!
- Dried cranberries– optional, but add a nice sweetness.
- Parsley– so fresh!
- Tahini Dressing– it’s SO good!
- Lemon juice– I love finishing the salad with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
I use my favorite tahini dressing to dress the slaw. It is SO good and very easy to make, you only need 5 ingredients.
You will need:
- tahini paste
- fresh lemon juice
- maple syrup
You can buy tahini paste at most grocery stores. Look for it in the aisle with peanut butter or in the aisle with international foods. You can also find it at a specialty or Middle Eastern grocery stores. You can store tahini paste at room temperature, but if you don’t use it that often, keep it in the fridge because it can go rancid.
The dressing only takes a few minutes to whisk together and compliments the slaw perfectly! The full recipe is HERE.
How to Make Apple Slaw
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, chickpeas, apple, green onion, celery, pepitas, cranberries (if using), and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the tahini dressing over the slaw. Use tongs to toss until the slaw is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the top and enjoy!
Feel free to play around with this recipe!
- Use almonds, pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds instead of pepitas.
- Add feta cheese, goat cheese, blue cheese, or white cheddar cheese.
- Add shredded cooked chicken.
- Use golden raisins or dried cherries instead of dried cranberries.
- Stir in some poppy seeds.
- Add additional herbs. Chives, mint, and basil would all be good.
- And if you don’t care for cabbage, you can use shaved Brussels sprouts or finely chopped kale.
You can enjoy this slaw with any meal. I love making it during the fall months when apples are in season. The flavors are so good!
I also love making this apple slaw for a light lunch. It is satisfying and so delicious.
Here are some dishes that pair well with this slaw.
- Honey Mustard Sheet Pan Chicken with Brussels Sprouts
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Easy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Stovetop Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- Honey Rosemary Baked Salmon with Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Sloppy Joes
How to Store
The slaw is best the day it is made, but if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
You can make the tahini dressing in advance and keep it in the fridge for up to one week.
More Easy Side Dishes
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Easy Chickpea Salad
- Simple Kale Salad
- Fall Chickpea Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad
More Apple Recipes
- Apple Pecan Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing
- Apple Walnut Quinoa Salad
- Apple Cheddar Biscuits
- Skillet Cinnamon Apples
- Kale and Wild Rice Salad