Skillet Chickpeas with Whipped Ricotta- chickpeas are cooked in a hearty marinara sauce with spinach, garlic, onion, and herbs. To finish the dish, add a few dollops of whipped ricotta cheese and serve with crusty bread! You are going to love this easy 30-minute meal!
I shared my favorite Vegetarian Dinner Recipes and now I have one more!
This Skillet Chickpeas with Whipped Ricotta recipe is a perfect 10! You should probably add it to your dinner menu right now! It takes less than 30 minutes to make; it’s the perfect weeknight meal.
The recipe is made with mostly pantry staples with a few fresh ingredients that really elevate the dish. It’s simple but tastes gourmet.
The chickpeas are cooked in a hearty marinara sauce with spinach, garlic, onion, and herbs. To finish the dish, add a few dollops of whipped ricotta cheese.
The whipped ricotta melts into the saucy chickpeas creating a creamy, dreamy sauce that is absolutely incredible. Serve with crusty bread or garlic bread to soak up all of that rich, robust sauce! YUM!
Is it dinner time yet?
Skillet Chickpea Ingredients
- Olive oil– for sautéing the veggies!
- Onion– I typically use a yellow onion, but white or red will work too.
- Spinach– I love adding greens whenever possible. I use spinach, but kale or Swiss chard would also be good.
- Garlic– fresh garlic is best!
- Chickpeas– I use canned chickpeas for convenience, just rinse and drain them before using.
- Marinara sauce– you can use our easy marinara sauce or slow cooker marinara sauce. If you want to use store bought sauce we recommend Rao’s.
- Herbs– I use dried oregano and basil in the recipe and finish the dish with fresh basil.
- Crushed red pepper flakes– for a little kick!
The skillet chickpeas are good without the whipped ricotta, BUT the ricotta makes the dish extra special. I highly recommend you try it!
The ingredients are simple! You will need:
- Ricotta cheese– use the freshest ricotta you can find. I recommend whole milk ricotta cheese.
- Olive oil– a little drizzle of olive oil to smooth things out.
- Basil– fresh herbs are always a good idea.
- Lemon zest– a little bit of lemon zest adds a burst of freshness.
- Honey- a touch of honey to add the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper- to taste!
To make the whipped ricotta, in a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, olive oil, basil, lemon zest, honey, salt, and pepper. Use a hand mixer to whip the ricotta until light and airy, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
If you don’t have a hand mixer, you can use a stand mixer or use a whisk and get a little arm workout!
How to Make Skillet Chickpeas
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chickpeas, marinara sauce, dried oregano, dried basil, and crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Turn to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped ricotta on top and crusty bread on the side. The ricotta will melt into the chickpeas, and you can dip your bread into the heavenly sauce!
You can serve the skillet chickpeas with the following!
- Crusty bread or garlic bread
- Garlic knots
- Pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles
- Grilled chicken or fish
- Easy green salad or spinach salad
I recommend storing the chickpeas and the whipped ricotta separately.
Store them in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat the chickpeas on the stovetop or in the microwave. Give the whipped ricotta a good stir and then add to the warm chickpeas.
More Easy Vegetarian Dinner Recipes
- Easy Chickpea Curry
- Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
- Easy White Bean Skillet
- Easy Vegetarian Tacos
- Spaghetti with Chickpeas and Kale