This simple skillet green bean recipe with lemon and garlic goes great with any meal and only takes 15 minutes to make! You will love this easy side dish.
Favorite Green Bean Recipe
Today, I am sharing my favorite green bean recipe that is in the Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook that comes out TOMORROW!! I am giving you guys a little sneak peak because I am SO excited! If you haven’t ordered your copy, order NOW!!
Green beans are the one vegetable that I can always count on—they take no time to cook, have a mild, sweet taste that even the toughest of vegetable critics will like, and pair really nicely with other fresh flavors, especially the kick of bright lemon and garlic. Whenever I cook this dish, it’s a great reminder that simplicity is best.
This easy green bean recipe is our favorite and we make them almost every single week. The green beans are made in one skillet and only take 15 minutes to make. This is the perfect vegetable side dish that goes great with any meal!
And guess what? The boys love these green beans too! I am always looking for kid friendly vegetables and these green beans always get two thumbs up from our boys.
How to Cook Green Beans
Fresh green beans are SO much better than canned or frozen green beans and they don’t take much longer to cook.
- First, make sure you trim the ends of the green beans. You can use a sharp knife to cut off the ends or you can snap off the tough ends off each green beanprior to cooking. Get your kids involved and have them snap off the ends! Our boys love helping with this step.
- In a large skillet with a fitted lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pepper flakes and green beans and toss with tongs or a spoon until the green beans are coated with the olive oil.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring every minute or two so the green beans don’t burn. You want them to be blistered and tender, but still have a little “snap.” When properly cooked, green beans should still have a crisp texture, and a vibrant, bright green color.
- Remove the lid and add the garlic, stirring to coat the green beans. Add the lemon zest and juice, toss, season with salt and pepper to taste, toss again, and serve immediately.
What to Serve with Green Beans
Green beans really can be served with any meal. They are such a solid vegetable that most people love! Here are a few of our favorite main dishes that are a perfect match for skillet green beans with lemon and garlic.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Pasta Pomodoro
More Vegetable Side Dish Recipes:
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes