Lasagna Recipe- this classic homemade lasagna is made with a rich meaty sauce, noodles, and lots of cheese! The recipe makes a big pan which is great for feeding a crowd or freezing for later! Don’t forget the garlic bread!
Lasagna nights are always GOOD nights!
We love making vegetable lasagna, skillet lasagna, polenta lasagna, 4-ingredient ravioli lasagna, and even lasagna soup. But it’s hard to beat Josh’s Homemade Lasagna Recipe. It takes a little extra time to make, but the end results are worth it. It is the BEST lasagna.
The lasagna is made with ground beef, Italian sausage, homemade marinara, noodles, herbs, and LOTS of cheese. There are lots of layers so you get a little bit of everything in every single bite.
This recipe makes a large pan so you can feed it to a crowd or enjoy leftovers. Lasagna reheats well and freezes well too! Serve with garlic bread and a simple salad and you have the perfect meal!
Table of Contents
- How to Make Lasagna
- What to Serve with Lasagna
- How to Store, Reheat, & Freeze
- More Pasta Recipes
- Homemade Lasagna Recipe
- Lasagna Noodles– use dried lasagna noodles.
- Olive Oil– for cooking and drizzling over the cooked lasagna noodles.
- Italian sausage & Ground Beef– use a mix of Italian sausage and ground beef for a hearty sauce.
- Marinara Sauce– for the best flavor, we recommend using our Easy Marinara Sauce. It has lots of onion, garlic, veggies, and herbs so we don’t need to add any extra ingredients to the lasagna because the sauce is so flavorful. If you want to use store bought, we like Rao’s brand, but you might want to add some seasonings.
- Ricotta Cheese– use full-fat ricotta cheese.
- Eggs– Adding egg helps bind the cheese mixture so it doesn’t ooze out when you cut into the lasagna.
- Heavy Cream– to create a rich and creamy cheese sauce.
- Fresh Lemon Juice– a little lemon brightens the flavors.
- Mozzarella Cheese– use freshly grated mozzarella cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese. Store bought cheese has a powder coating on it and it doesn’t melt as nicely.
- Parmesan cheese– use freshly grated Parmesan cheese, splurge on the good stuff!
- Fresh Basil or Parsley– for garnish.
How to Make Lasagna
(scroll down to the recipe card for the full recipe with ingredients and instructions)
- Preheat the oven. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and generously season with kosher salt. Cook the lasagna noodles until al dente, according to package instructions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Separate any noodles that are stuck together. Drizzle the noodles with a little olive oil.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and ground beef, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Add the marinara sauce to the cooked sausage and meat and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and eggs. Add the heavy cream and lemon juice and stir until smooth. Stir in 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and ¾ cup Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now, it’s time to layer the lasagna. Spread 1 ½ cups of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish that is at least 2 1/2-inches deep. Top with a layer of noodles, try not to overlap them.
- Top with 2 cups of sauce and ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with another layer of noodles and spread ricotta cheese mixture evenly over the noodles.
- Add another layer of noodles, 2 cups of sauce, and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Top with another layer of noodles and finish with remaining sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. The pan will be very full.
- Tent the lasagna with foil and secure tightly all around the edges. Place lasagna pan on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Carefully remove foil and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let the lasagna sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
What to Serve with Lasagna
- Garlic Bread or Caprese Garlic Bread
- Simple Arugula Salad
- Summer Caprese Salad
- Easy Green Salad
- Simple Kale Salad
- Roasted Broccoli or Roasted Green Beans
How to Store, Reheat, & Freeze
- Storing Leftovers: Store cooled leftover lasagna in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or you can warm up individual pieces in the microwave.
- Make in Advance: You can assemble the lasagna and store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Remove from the fridge, preheat the oven, and bake.
- Freezing: You can freeze lasagna before or after baking. If you know you are going to assemble and freeze, I recommend making it in a foil pan. Cover with plastic wrap and foil. You can also freeze individual slices of lasagna in freezer containers, which is nice for easy lunches or dinners. Lasagna will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat Frozen Lasagna: You can bake a frozen lasagna, just double the baking time. You can also thaw a frozen lasagna overnight in the fridge and then bake.
Can I use all ground beef?
Yes, you can use all ground beef or even ground turkey, but we like the mix of ground beef and Italian sausage for this recipe.
Can I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta?
Yes, if you prefer cottage cheese you can use it instead of ricotta cheese, or you can do a mix!
Can I use store-bought sauce instead of making homemade marinara sauce?
I highly suggest you use our homemade marinara sauce because it has lots of onion, garlic, herbs, and a rich tomato flavor. If you use a store bought sauce, we like Rao’s, but you might want to add some garlic and herbs. Make sure you taste and adjust the sauce before building the lasagna.
More Pasta Recipes
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Baked Ziti
- Chicken Penne Pasta
- Cacio e Pepe
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Baked Spaghetti
- Spaghetti Carbonara