Smashed Chickpea Avocado Salad Sandwich is the perfect healthy lunch or dinner! This easy smashed chickpea salad can be eaten as a sandwich or served on greens, rice cakes, toast, or eaten as a dip with crackers or veggies!
Are you ready for the best healthy sandwich recipe? This Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich is my all-time favorite. Two of my favorite ingredients, chickpeas and avocado, come together to create the most amazing salad sandwich.
It is kind of a twist on egg salad, but there are no eggs involved. The creaminess comes from smashed chickpeas and avocado! I promise you won’t miss the eggs because this vegan salad is amazing! I could eat it every day for lunch…and some weeks I do:)
It’s easy, healthy, fresh, and so delicious! And even my boys like this one! Sometimes, they even help me make it. They love smashing the chickpeas and avocado with a fork! Fun times in the kitchen!
Chickpea Avocado Salad Ingredients
You only need a few ingredients to make this recipe!
- Chickpeas– I use canned chickpeas for convenience, just rinse and drain them!
- Avocado– make sure the avocado is ripe!
- Cilantro– if you don’t care for cilantro, you can use fresh basil.
- Green onion– red onion works well too!
- Lime juice– use fresh lime juice. It will keep the avocado from browning and it adds a nice citrus kick. If you are using basil, go with fresh lemon juice!
How to Make Smashed Chickpea Avocado Salad
You can make this chickpea salad in just a few minutes!
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel. I like to roll them around and remove some of the outer skins. This step is optional, but it makes the salad a little extra creamy!
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- That’s it! I told you it was easy!
I love this chickpea salad because you can serve it up in a variety of ways!
- Spread the salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves, sprouts, or arugula. Tomato slices are also nice!
- Serve as a dip for cut up veggies, crackers, and pita chips.
- Stuff the salad inside a pita pocket.
- Place the salad on top of a bed of greens and add your favorite salad toppings!
- Spread on top of a rice cake.
If you are looking for a quick and healthy lunch idea, make this Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad. It is the perfect lunch for a busy weekday, work lunch, picnic, day at the pool, road trip, etc. You can’t go wrong! It is one of my favorite recipes and I hope you like it too!
More Sandwich Recipes:
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Egg Salad
- Roasted Chickpea Avocado Toast
- Cucumber Avocado Sandwich
- Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
- Smashed Chickpea Avocado Pesto Salad Sandwich