Berry Kale Salad- kale salad with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, goat cheese, candied pecans, and a simple balsamic vinaigrette. This is the perfect summer salad!
I love a good a kale salad. My simple kale salad is my favorite, but I also love mixing it up. For example, my kale and wild rice salad, roasted grape farro kale salad, and sweet potato black bean kale salad are all loaded with goodness.
I also LOVE this Berry Kale Salad, especially during the summer months when berries are in season. The kale salad has strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Bring on the berries!
I also add in creamy goat cheese (can use feta), crunchy, sweet candied pecans, and red onion. Toss everything in my homemade balsamic vinaigrette and you have the PERFECT summer salad.
This salad is perfect for the 4th of July, Labor Day, picnics, cookouts, bridal showers, baby showers, or any day! The flavors are fresh, flavorful, and so delicious!
- Kale– you can use curly kale or lacinato kale. Wash and chop up the kale really well so it isn’t tough.
- Berries– strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries! Use the ripest, juiciest berries you can find.
- Candied pecans– I like to make my own candied pecans, I promise they are easy, but store bought are fine too. You can also use regular pecans or almonds.
- Goat cheese– if you don’t like goat cheese, feta is great too.
- Red onion– thinly sliced.
- Fresh mint– for garnish! Optional, but so pretty and fresh.
My homemade balsamic vinaigrette is so good with this salad. It is easy to make and you can keep it in a jar or airtight container in your fridge for up to one week.
To make the dressing, in a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
How to Make Berry Kale Salad
- First, remove the kale stems. Squeeze the top of the kale stem and slowly move your hand down the kale stem. The leafy part of the kale will come right off as you go down. Use a sharp knife to finely chop the kale.
- Place the kale in a large bowl. Drizzle the kale with just a little bit of olive oil, you don’t need a ton because you are adding a dressing. Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and massage with your clean fingers until the kale softens a bit.
- Drizzle the dressing over the kale and toss well. Add the strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, candied pecans, goat cheese, and red onion. Gently toss and garnish with fresh mint, if using. Serve.
How to Store
After you dress and toss the salad, it is best to enjoy the same day.
If you want to prep the salad in advance, you can get a few things done ahead of time.
- Make the dressing and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- The candied pecans will keep in a sealed jar or airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Prep and chop the kale in advance, just keep it in an airtight container or bag with a paper towel to keep it fresh.
- I always wait to wash my berries right before making the salad so they aren’t mushy.
More Salad Recipes
- Simple Kale Salad
- Simple Arugula Salad
- Easy Green Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Dressing
- Easy Spinach Salad
Find all of our salad recipes HERE!