This Easy White Bean Skillet is a great healthy and hearty dinner and it only takes 20 minutes to make! Serve with crusty bread or enjoy over pasta, spaghetti squash, quinoa, rice, or zucchini noodles. It is one of my favorite quick and easy weeknight meals.
I love a fancy dinner from time to time, but to be honest, simple dinners are my favorite. And not just because they are easy to make. Of course, I appreciate a quick and easy meal, especially on a busy day, but I also love meals made with basic, healthy ingredients because they just taste good!
Good food doesn’t have to be fancy or elaborate to be delicious. Example, this Easy White Bean Skillet. It is one of my all-time favorite meals and it is made with basic ingredients. It only takes 20 minutes to make and it hits the spot every time.
This healthy and hearty dish is comforting, full of flavor, and super satisfying. It is one of those throw together meals that turns out every time.
Trust me, you want this Easy White Bean Skillet recipe in your regular dinner rotation. It’s a staple at our house!
I always have the ingredients on hand which makes this recipe a dinner lifesaver. Make sure you always have these items in your kitchen so you can make it too! Here is what you need:
- Olive oil– The perfect start to the dish!
- Onion– I use yellow onion, but white or red will work too.
- Garlic– Use fresh garlic for the best garlic flavor.
- Roasted red bell peppers– I use jar roasted red peppers to keep things simple. Drain the liquid and chop them up!
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes– I love using fire roasted tomatoes for maximum flavor!
- Herbs– dried basil, thyme, rosemary, and oregano
- Red pepper flakes– for a little heat!
- White beans– You can use cannellini, navy, or Great Northern white beans. I use canned beans, make sure you rinse and drain them first.
- Kale– if you don’t care for kale, you can use spinach!
- Balsamic vinegar– A splash of balsamic adds so much flavor!
- Fresh basil and Parmesan cheese– These are optional garnishes, but so good. If you need the dish to be vegan, use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese.
How to Make Easy White Bean Skillet
Are you ready to make the easiest dinner ever? Let’s do it!
- In a large skillet, I like to use a cast iron, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the roasted red peppers, tomatoes, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the white beans and turn the heat to low. Season with a little salt and pepper and let simmer so the flavors come together.
- Stir in the chopped kale and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes or until the kale is wilted.
- Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast).
- Dinner is DONE! I told you it was EASY!
I love serving thick slices of crusty bread on the side. Perfect for dipping, dunking, and soaking up all of that tasty sauce.
You can also serve the saucy white beans over pasta, rice, quinoa, zucchini noodles or polenta. I have even eaten it with scrambled eggs in the morning. It is such a good basic dish!
How to Store
If you have leftovers, put them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days. I think the flavors are even better as the dish sits so try to have leftovers:)
You can also freeze the white beans for up to three months. Defrost and enjoy!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- 5-Ingredient Spinach Parmesan Pasta
- Easy Chickpea Curry
- Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowls
- 4-Ingredient Ravioli Lasagna
- Taco Skillet