Rich and cheesy Grilled Halloumi Tacos are brightened with fresh Mango Salsa for a delicious twist on everyone’s favorite main dish! The perfect meal for Taco Tuesday or any day!
Is there anything that’s more universally adored than a good Taco Tuesday? Taco Tuesday is a favorite weeknight at our house, but you can enjoy tacos any day! We always love mixing up the taco menu and our new favorite summer tacos are Grilled Halloumi Tacos!
Topping these rich and cheesy tacos with spicy-sweet mango salsa just secures their place as a crowd pleaser that you’ll return to again and again. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly and easily these come together. Let’s get grilling!
Table of Contents
- What is Halloumi?
- How to Grill Halloumi
- Halloumi Taco Toppings
- Vegetarian Tacos
- More Taco Recipes
- Grilled Halloumi Tacos with Mango Salsa Recipe
What is Halloumi?
You might be reading this and thinking “Tacos, yes! Mango salsa, yum! Halloumi? What even is that?” It’s CHEESE! Halloumi is a really interesting cheese with a high melting point, so it’s perfect for grilling and making the most incredible tacos ever.
It’s a semi-hard cheese made of a combination of sheep and goat milk that’s usually fried or grilled and has the most incredible flavor. Halloumi is getting pretty popular so you should be able to find it at your grocery store. I know that you can for sure find it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.
How to Grill Halloumi
You might be nervous about putting cheese on the grill, it seems like a huge mess just waiting to happen! But that’s NOT the case with Halloumi, it is the perfect grilling cheese. Just a few simple steps will get you taco-ready Halloumi in no time. You can use an outside grill or use a grill pan and grill inside! Both ways work great!
- Drain all the liquid out of the package of Halloumi
- On a cutting board, cut your Halloumi into ½ inch thick
- Pat the slices dry with a paper towel
- Brush each side with olive oil. This prevents sticking to the grill as you cook!
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place Halloumi on the grill (or grill pan) and grill each side 2-3 minutes, until golden brown lines appear on each side
- Remove and set aside for serving
Halloumi Taco Toppings
I like to use corn tortillas as the base for Grilled Halloumi Tacos. You can heat up and lightly char the tortillas on the grill or over a gas flame. You can also heat the tortillas up in the microwave. You can use flour tortillas, but we like corn!
Now, it’s time for the taco toppings! This is where you can really have some fun! Making a great taco bar so your family or guests can assemble their own tacos is always a hit. Plus, the toppings add a TON of flavor! Here are our favorite halloumi taco toppings:
- Fresh Mango Salsa-a MUST! The mango salsa adds so much flavor and color to the tacos. Don’t worry, it is easy to make!
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing-another MUST! A drizzle of this dressing really makes the tacos POP!
- Avocado slices-avocado is always a good idea!
- Shredded Cabbage-use purple cabbage for great color!
- Cilantro-add a little for garnish
- Jalapeño slices-if you want a little kick!
- Lime wedges-for squeezing!
These EASY vegetarian tacos are one of my very favorites! The flavors, textures, and colors are PERFECTION!! We love making these Grilled Halloumi Tacos during the summertime because they are so fresh and delicious…and an easy dinner that doesn’t heat up the house, BUT you can make them all year long! Make them for Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, or ANY day!
More Taco Recipes
If you’re looking for more taco recipes for Taco Tuesday or any night, try some of our favorites!
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Fish Tacos
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Easy Vegetarian Tacos
- Turkey Tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos