These roasted cauliflower and chickpea tacos are bursting with flavor. With a vegetarian base, the strong flavors of fresh jalapeño and a spice blend, and the creaminess of avocado and lime crema, these tacos have it all.
There’s never a bad time for tacos, and these Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos are my all-time favorite. With a cauliflower and chickpea base, these vegetarian tacos are super healthy and super satisfying. Vegetarians, meat lovers, and even kids LOVE these tacos. I promise!
The cauliflower tacos are full of flavor, with a balance of spice, salt, and citrus. They have lime, jalapeño, avocado, four different spices, and a mouth-watering lime crema. Simply put, these tacos are DELICIOUS! You will want to make them for Taco Tuesday or any night of the week.
These tacos have a lot of different ingredients, with each bringing a new flavor element to the dish. Make sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact ingredient amounts.
For the Tacos:
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Lime juice – Be sure to use freshly-squeezed lime juice.
- Olive oil
- Canned chickpeas – The chickpeas should be drained and rinsed.
- Corn tortillas
- Red cabbage
For the Lime Crema:
- Greek yogurt – You can also use sour cream for a richer and more traditional flavor.
- Lime juice
Can These Tacos Be Made Vegan?
The tacos are already healthy, vegetarian, and gluten-free. But you can also make them vegan! The only non-vegan ingredient in this recipe is the Greek yogurt or the sour cream that you’ll need for the crema. Use your favorite vegan yogurt or sour cream, and suddenly you’ve got vegan tacos!
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
These tacos may be full of flavor, but they’re pretty easy to make, and only take about 45 minutes. Here’s how to make them.
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Season the cauliflower and chickpeas. Add the lime juice, olive oil, water, salt, and spices to a bowl, then mix to combine. Then add the cauliflower and chickpeas to the bowl.
- Roast. Mix the cauliflower and chickpeas in the seasonings, then pour into a greased baking tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cauliflower should be fork tender, and the chickpeas should be starting to get crispy.
- Make the crema. Add the Greek yogurt or sour cream to a bowl, along with the lime juice and cilantro. Stir until combined, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble. Place some of the cauliflower and chickpea mixture on a tortilla, then top with cabbage, jalapeño, cilantro, and avocado. Drizzle the crema on top, and then devour!
Tips for Success
Here are some tricks and tips for making the best possible roasted cauliflower and chickpea tacos.
- Heat the tortillas. Before assembling the tacos, heat the tortillas in a pan, or directly over a flame. Warming them up makes them more malleable, so they’re less likely to tear or fall apart. It also increases the corn flavor.
- Use a perfectly ripe avocado. Picking the right avocado can make a huge difference. An unripe avocado can ruin the texture of these tacos, while also not being very flavorful. Pick an avocado that doesn’t feel mushy, but is soft when you squeeze it.
- Make the crema ahead of time. The further in advance you make the lime crema, the longer the flavors will have to meld together. Making it a few hours in advance, or even the day before, can really increase the intensity of the flavors.
I like to serve these tacos with some traditional Mexican side dishes. Here are a few of my favorite things to have on the table when eating these tacos.
- Mexican Rice
- Easy Refried Beans
- Best Bean Dip
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Chips with Guacamole
- Chips with Restaurant Style Salsa
How to Store
These tacos are definitely best served fresh. You can keep them in the fridge for a few days, but the tortillas will get soggy almost immediately. Instead, I recommend storing the ingredients separately, and then assembling them when it’s time to eat.
The roasted cauliflower and chickpeas will last for up to 7 days in the fridge or 4 months in the freezer. The lime crema will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, and shouldn’t be frozen. Both items should be stored in airtight containers.
How to Reheat
To eat leftover roasted cauliflower and chickpea tacos, simply heat up the filling, and then assemble. You can reheat the cauliflower and chickpea mixture in the oven, on the stove, in the air fryer, or in the microwave. If the mixture is frozen, reheat in the oven, or thaw before heating in the microwave or on the stove.
More Taco Recipes to Try
If you liked these roasted cauliflower and chickpea tacos, then check out some of my other favorite taco recipes.
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Grilled Poblano Salsa
- Easy Vegetarian Tacos
- Turkey Tacos
- Chimichurri Cauliflower Tacos