Easy Chickpea Salad- this chickpea salad is a vegetarian version of a classic chicken salad, some refer to it as “chickpea chicken salad.” It’s made with basic ingredients, loaded with flavor, and only takes 10 minutes to make! It’s perfect for picnics, work lunches, or a simple, healthy lunch at home.
Are you ready for one of my all-time favorite lunch recipes? I know you are going to love this Easy Chickpea Salad because it’s made with basic ingredients and is SO good!
Plus, I know many of you love my other chickpea salad recipes: chickpea, avocado, feta salad, fall chickpea salad, and smashed avocado chickpea salad…just to name a few!
This chickpea salad is similar to classic chicken salad (or even tuna salad or egg salad), but it’s made with mashed chickpeas instead. It is an easy vegetarian recipe that is packed with protein, fiber, and flavor!
The salad is creamy, crunchy, tangy, fresh, salty…it has all of the best textures in one bowl. It is easy to whip up and is very satisfying, making it the perfect meal for when you are short on time. I always have the ingredients on hand, this salad is a lunch time lifesaver!
Table of Contents
- Salad Ingredients
- How to Make Chickpea Salad
- How to Serve
- More Chickpea Salad Recipes
- Chickpea Salad Recipe
This salad is made with pantry and refrigerator staples!
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)- I use canned chickpeas to keep this salad super simple. Rinse and drain before using!
- Celery– to add a nice crunch!
- Pickles– dice up pickles to for texture and flavor. I use dill pickles, but if you love sweet pickles, you can use them.
- Green onion– I use green onion, but red onion will also work.
- Greek yogurt– use plain Greek yogurt to make the salad creamy. It also gives it an extra boost of protein.
- Lemon juice– love the burst of fresh lemon!
- Dijon mustard– tangy, sweet, and a little spicy!
- Red wine vinegar– just a splash!
- Herbs– I like to add fresh dill and parsley!
- Garlic powder– for a flavor boost!
How to Make Chickpea Salad
- Place the chickpeas on a clean dish towel or paper towel. Put another towel on top. Use your hands to roll and rub the chickpeas for about 20-30 seconds. This will help the skins come off easier. Remove the skins and discard. I try to remove most of the skins, but if you don’t get them all, that is ok. And if you don’t have time to remove the skins, just rinse and drain. The salad will still be good. Removing the skins just makes the salad a little creamier and smooth.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until most of the chickpeas are smashed. Stir in the celery, onion, and pickles.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, red wine vinegar, dill, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sauce to the chickpea mixture and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust ingredients, if necessary.
I love this recipe because it is VERY flexible. Play around and customize the ingredients to your liking. I recommend tasting the salad after you get everything mixed in. If you like more lemon, add it! If you want more pickles, go for it! Taste and adjust, there are no rules here:)
Here are a few ideas for mixing it up!
- Add chopped pecans or almonds for a nice crunch.
- Stir in dried cranberries or chopped grapes for a little sweetness.
- Sprinkle in some capers for a salty kick.
- Add in chopped avocado or mashed avocado for extra creaminess.
- Mix up the herbs! Basil and chives are great options!
- Stir in some chopped pickled red onions instead of regular onions.
How to Serve
You can eat the chickpea salad right out of the bowl, the options are endless for serving!
- Serve in between two slices of bread or stuff in a pita pocket to make a sandwich. Feel free to add lettuce, tomato slices, or sprouts.
- Serve in lettuce cups to make lettuce wraps!
- Spread on a tortilla and roll it up to make a wrap!
- Enjoy with crackers or chips!
- Spread on top of a rice cake
- Top a bed of greens with the salad and add your favorite salad toppings to make a delicious salad!
Store the chickpea salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This is a great meal prep recipe! Make and eat all week for an easy lunch, dinner, or snack!
More Chickpea Salad Recipes
- Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad
- Chickpea, Avocado, & Feta Salad
- Fall Chickpea Salad
- Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
- Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad