This Pizza Grilled Cheese is made with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and garlic bread that has a salty, cheesy Parmesan crust! Dunk in pizza sauce for the ultimate pizza experience.
Our classic grilled cheese sandwich is PERFECTION. Have you tried it? It really is the best.
But what do you do when you are craving pizza and grilled cheese? You make a Pizza Grilled Cheese, the best of both worlds.
This grilled cheese is made with hearty Italian bread that gets slathered with garlic butter, pepperoni, and lots of mozzarella cheese. The sandwich also has a Parmesan cheese crust that is phenomenal. Serve pizza sauce on the side for dunking and you are in pizza AND grilled cheese heaven!
This sandwich is a hit with kids and adults and it’s super easy to make! I guarantee it will be a favorite. If you don’t have time to make pizza or order in pizza, make this pizza grilled cheese!
Table of Contents
- How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese
- More Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Bread– we prefer Italian bread, but French or sourdough are also good options.
- Parmesan cheese– to create a salty Parmesan crust on the outside of the sandwich.
- Mozzarella cheese– use freshly grated mozzarella cheese for best results.
- Pizza sauce or Marinara sauce– for dunking!
How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Spread one tablespoon of the butter mixture on one side of the bottom slice of bread.
- Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese in a hot skillet, spreading it out to about the same size as the bread.
- Place the buttered piece of bread, buttered side down, into the pan, directly on the Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices on the top side of the bread in the pan.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of butter mixture on the second slice of bread, then place it face up on top of the bread and cheese in the pan.
- Let the sandwich cook until the bottom slice is golden brown, and you have a nice Parmesan crust, and the cheese has begun to melt on the inside. Don’t turn up the heat. Low and slow is the way to go. If your cheese isn’t melting, you can cover the pan with a lid to help, but don’t turn up the heat.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese directly in the hot pan, spreading it out about the same size as the bread. Place the sandwich back in the pan, uncooked side down, directly in the Parmesan.
- Cook until the cheese is melted on the inside of the sandwich, and you have a nice golden brown, cheesy crust on the outside.
- Remove from pan and use a serrated knife to cut the sandwich in half.
You can easily customize this grilled cheese by using your favorite pizza toppings as sandwich fillings. Here are a few ideas.
- Use cooked sausage instead of pepperoni.
- Make a meat lovers grilled cheese by using pepperoni, sausage, bacon, and ham.
- If you want a vegetarian pizza grilled cheese, use sautéd mushrooms, peppers, artichokes, or spinach.
- Try pineapple slices and Canadian bacon.
- Make a classic margherita pizza grilled cheese with a little pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil.
- Kick up the heat and add crushed red pepper flakes, jalapeño slices, or a drizzle of hot honey.
More Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Best Grilled Cheese
- Pesto, Artichoke, and Havarti Grilled Cheese
- Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese
- Brie, Fig, and Apple Grilled Cheese
- Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich